Anything! Oops, did I just give it away already? Well, not quite. Leather jackets continue to be one of the hottest pieces in fashion that can turn your look from cool and casual to fancy and proper with just a few changes in clothing, which gives them some of the best versatility that you can use for years in almost any occasion.
They are also reliable in that you can wear them in practically any season and gives you an upgraded look even when you’re not trying too hard.
The thing is, when you have something so versatile, it gives you many options. With many options, you become confused on what to wear with a leather jacket. I’ve researched the web enough to know that there truly isn’t THE look. It’s what you make of it.
This means you can wear almost anything with a leather jacket. BUT, common styling standards still apply. Take a look below to check out some quick tips on what to wear with a leather jacket and some quick-start styles for you to try out, whether you’re a pro or just getting started.
Styling a Leather Jacket – 3 Quick Tips
1. Color: Leather jackets come in many colors, though the most common you’ll see are brown and black. Black leather jackets are the standard as they can match with practically any other style of clothing.
If you’re just starting out, I’d recommend a black leather jacket, like the Andrew Marc Leather Jacket. If you’re mixing and matching already, I’ve found these leather jackets to be quite sexy (Brunello Cucinelli Olive Green Bomber Jacket | Stefano Ricci Blue Lamb Leather Jacket). In fact, I have olive green and blue denim jackets, and I find them equally (if not more) attractive in genuine leather.
Leather jackets are a statement piece. With that said, it’s important to stick with neutral colors and keep your outfit simple (ex. t-shirt and jeans, collared shirt and khakis). This lets your jacket do the talking and becomes the conversation piece in any encounter (Disclosure: your jacket won’t be literally talking. You still need to speak words).
2. Style: I said it before and I’ll say it again. Leather jackets are VERSATILE! This means you can wear a simple white v-neck t-shirt with a pair of black jeans, throw on a leather jacket, and have a cool and casual look. You can also throw on a light blue collared shirt and some sandy brown khakis, and you’ve got yourself a business casual look with that jacket!
The one thing I do recommend is to check out the Top Styles in Leather, where I talk about the enormous variety of leather jackets popular today which will give you an inside look into what works. You should pick the jacket that fits you best and matches the style you want.
3. Confidence: “Adam, why are you telling me to be confident? This isn’t a self-help article!” I’ll tell you why. A little while ago, I bought a standard black leather jacket. I felt awesome about myself every time I threw on that jacket on a day/night out.
I cannot tell you how uncomfortable I felt when I decided to try on a motorcycle jacket. It had all the bells and whistles and belt, with detail around every corner. I was basically standing in a ridiculously BOLD jacket. I thought it was too much and it didn’t fit my classy and low profile look.
This is why you’ll see that some leather jackets require more confidence than others, especially those that are edgy and bold. The tip? Make sure you truly feel confident in the jacket and clothing you wear with it.
5 Quick-Start Styles to Wear With a Leather Jacket
1. Casual: Just a step beyond wearing a t-shirt and jeans, a leather jacket upgrades your look and gives you a more presentable and edgy style that’s sure to stand out from the average crowd. This look usually includes v-neck t-shirts, a pair of blue or black jeans, and sneakers or slightly less formal dress boots. Add a sweatshirt to give you an even edgier urban city look.
2. Business Casual: A new way of going to the office is ditching your suit jacket and wearing a leather jacket on top of your collared shirt and dress pants / chinos. I’ve recently experimented with this style and have loved it ever since. The jacket gives you a new way to start your day in style, and adds a small edge to your formal stature that still finds its balance and way into corporate America.
3. Superhero: You heard me. Superhero leather jackets are one of the Top Styles in Leather Jackets today, and with good reason. Simply put, they’re awesome. Explained better, they give you a unique look that I can guarantee the average person does not have in their closet. I wouldn’t even keep a leather jacket like this in a closet. It deserves its own plaque on the wall! With a Superman Leather Jacket or even Captain America, there’s a million pieces of clothing that can be worn with these pieces of beauty.
4. Monochromatic: Think of the color black. Now think of a lighter black. Now think of an even lighter black. Now go back to darker black. Monochromatic colors are essentially shades of a color, such as black or gray. Pairing clothing using the monochromatic style along with a leather jacket is another way to set yourself above the crowd and even give others a mysterious look that will beg others to turn your way in curiosity. It’s also one of the simplest forms of pairing clothing since you’re only following shades of one color. How easy is that?
5. Distressed: Similar to the name, this is where torn jeans and worn-in leather jackets come into play – the really rough-edge, bad-boy/bad-girl look. T-shirts can be ripped. It gives a cool sense of style without appearing entirely homeless. This is one of the more difficult ones I’ve found to get into, simply because some may look better than others in this style of clothing, but also because it attracts much more attention, if you’re ready for it (see “confidence” above).
Take a look at my Leather Jacket Clothing Tips for more information on how to best style your leather jacket!
Wear the Leather Jacket with Confidence
A leather jacket can be worn in virtually any environment, and the same can be said for what to wear with such a jacket. There are some common standards that you should follow in general around pairing clothes together, though does not need to be set as the rule.
With the right mix of style, color, and confidence, you can mix and match a few things together with your leather jacket to make you look awesome. And, the bonus is you have a few quick-start styles you can immediately try out, whether you’re already experimenting or taking the first step.
There are endless ways to style a leather jacket. It is the canvas. And you are the paintbrush.